To start I bought a whole whack of black frames and figured I could work with them one way or another! From there I laid out kraft paper (actually packing paper we had left over from our move), and placed the frames on top of the paper in the arrangement I wanted.
Once all the frames were laid out, I traced around them with pencil. This worked...sort of. If I was to do it again, I would make sure there was cardboard or another hard surface under the paper to make it easier to trace onto (doing it ontop of carpet isn't the easiest thing!). Once I traced (ripped) the paper around the frames, I removed the frames and taped the paper up onto the wall. This gave a roadmap for the frame placement. I nailed right over top of the paper to ensure the frames would hang where I wanted them to. Then I ripped the paper off the wall, and voila - all the hooks were ready for their frames!
I selected a variety of photos from some of my husband and my favourite travel places. Unfortunately I made a bit of a goof on the photo selction and really wanted to use the photo in the bottom right corner. It is veritcal instead of horizontal, so I added an extra small frame on the left side and moved the bottom left frame down a bit. I think it worked out - here's the finished product: