Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Vintage wine crate makeover

You've probably seen vintage wine crates popping up here and there - I like the look of them for storage, and one of my favourite inspiration pics of one way to use them is here:

Doesn't that look great in the nursery? I have also seen crates used as mini-gardens among other things. I have seen them at antique shops / fairs, but they always came with a hefty price tag ($40 for an old wooden box is a bit much in my books). As luck would have it, I was coming home one evening after work and saw a wine crate sitting on a neighbour's recycling bin, ready for the next day's garbage collection. The neighbour was outside, so I asked her if I could have it, she said sur,e so I grabbed it and took it home! I'm pretty sure she thought I was a little loony taking her wooden wine crate, but so be it. All in the name of DIY I tell ya.

I decided to stain it and figure out what I would do with it later....here's what it looked like:
Notice it's from France. Score.

I scraped off all the stickers and removed the nails and staples that had held the top on the box. Then I broke out the Walnut stain and got to work.


That's what it looked like with one coat...check back tomorrow to see the finished product and what I decided it's premiere would be!

6 comments:

Ashley said...

i must be a bit behind since i've never seen a wooden wine crate! looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

Unknown said...

Score! I looks amazing! Are you thinking of adding the casters like the ones in your inspiration picture? Can't wait to see where it ends up in your home.

Tiffany Leigh said...

I love that inspiration pic too! The casters make it so practical. And I love that you didn't let the fact that the box is a bit broken stop you. It's going to look fab!

lisaroy said...

Love it! I stopped at an LCBO and simply asked if they had any and they offered me a whole pile for free! Try it if you're hunting for more :)

Unknown said...

Ohh, that looks great so far. And score on the garbage day find! #dumpsterdivingrocks

Meagan, in house nester said...

Can't wait to see how they turn out - definitely love your inspiration picture!
Meagan

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...