Wednesday, March 21, 2012

DIY kitchen art or How to re-use a rice bag

I've got a REALLY simple little DIY for you guys - all you need is a frame and a rice bag...

This whole project started because we needed something to add life to a small wall between our kitchen and dining room. We were initially thinking a clock, but the one that I liked at HomeSense was $179...and I was hoping for something more along the $39.99 route. So, we went to Plan B!

I bought this rice a WHILE ago and we finally finished it (I totally bought it for the cute bag):
I thought the royal blue would look nice with the greys and whites in the kitchen.

Next I cut out the front of the bag:
I taped it onto the matte in the frame and voila - framed rice bag:

I cut a royal blue print that I picked up from Ikea into 2 smaller sizes and got them up on the wall - mission accomplished!


14 comments:

Anna @ IHOD said...

What a cute idea!!
Love this and the way yours turned out!

Jorah said...

ack! brilliant! i used to keep these exact bags cause i loved the look but couldn't figure out what to do with them....never had the brainwave to frame it! :)

tres chic chica said...

Wow! Great idea! It looks great!

http://nyorkeratheart.blogspot.com

Krista @ Nook of Wellington said...

So cute, simple and original... Looks great too! :)

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

Really cute! Looks sophisticated under glass!
www.chattafabulous.blogspot.com

Michelle @ AM Dolce Vita said...

Ingenious!

Anonymous said...

Love this project Heather! So clever. xo

Designwali said...

That is brilliant girl!! great job! A little indian touch!! hahahah

Tanya from Dans le Lakehouse said...

Great idea! I bet the texture looks great in real life.

Brooke @ Inside-Out Design said...

LOVE THIS!!! Oh my goodness, so COOL!! And who would think to frame a rice bag?! (except you!)

Lisa - UnderthisDanforthRoof said...

This is such an fantastic idea --the texture of the bag really adds to the effect. It looks like something you got on exotic travels!

emily said...

What a great idea! It looks awesome!

Elissa said...

That looks great! I'm going to have to start buying rice in cute bags from now on too :)

The Vintique Object said...

Heather, I absolutely love this idea!! You know next time I'm at the store, I'm going to buy some fancy rice!
Love your photograph too with the tiled background. Beautiful!
Camille

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...