Monday, June 11, 2012

Nuts over doughnuts

This past weekend the Mr. and I went to Ottawa to visit our families and some friends...as usual, it was a jam packed weekend! Gotta fit in as much as possible while there, right? Whenever we go back to Ottawa we always make sure to buy some Kettleman's bagels to bring home, and also some baklava from Brioche bakery (both located in the Glebe)...well now we may have to add another stop to our list. Friends that we visited on Saturday recommended we stop in to SuzyQ doughnuts...they raved about it, and it was just down the street from them, so stop in we did.
If you are in Ottawa and haven't been - GO. It is ah-mazing, drool worthy deliciousness in a fluffy doughnut. The back story is pretty cool too - this business was just started last year by going to the Lansdowne Farmer's Market, and now has a "shack" in an up and coming neighbourhood in Ottawa. When we popped by at 3pm it was lined up 8 deep, and people kept on going in after us.

Here's what all the fuss was about:




Yes folks, those are flavours like salty caramel, toasted coconut, and blood orange. Are you drooling yet? They also had smoores doughnuts. AND you could get any doughnut cut in half and they would put soft serve ice cream in the middle to make an ice cream sandwich.

Are.you.kidding.me.?

Our choices were dirty chocolate and maple bacon:


Believe me - it was TOUGH to remember to stop eating and take a picture of these beauties.

I hope you're drooling now...if anyone knows of a place like this in Toronto - let me know! Otherwise...road trip to Ottawa??






11 comments:

Kerry said...

OMG! The next time we make it to Ottawa (whenever that may be...) We will DEFINITELY have to try this out. What street is this on??

Anonymous said...

What a cute shop! Mmmm. I just finished off a homemade cinnamon bun for bedtime snack. Delightful. Oh how I love my sweets. xo

Unknown said...

I went to the TUM event this weekend and they also had a vendor that had a maple bacon doughnut (which I tried and enjoyed!). I just checked it wasn't SuzyQ but strange coincidence!

Emily-Jane said...

Those really do look amazing! Donuts are my *favourite* food. So good. Mmmmm Next time I'm in Ottawa I'll be sure to stop by!

Anonymous said...

So good eh?! They did not have salty caramel the last time I went, that sounds like excuse to go back! Hintonburg is new food central these days... did you see the "Taco Lot" right next to Suzy Q's? It's amazing as well.

Sharon@house58blog.com said...

If I had my way, doughnuts would be the amuse bouche to every meal.

Lisa - UnderthisDanforthRoof said...

I HEART Kettleman's! When I lived in Ottawa (in the Glebe on Broadway Ave. no less) I used to order the porky's...sooo delish.
Those doughnuts sound ahhhmazing. Salted Caramel? Oh my. ...after that I'd need a run along the canal!

Cre8ive Motives said...

Yum! Not good for my waist line but I would try these in a heartbeat :)

lisaroy said...

Thanks for the heads up! We'll be driving through later this summer and while I usually want a beavertail, I'll have to give these a try! :)

Carol@TheDesignPages said...

I love how the donut store is making a comeback. There's a place in Portland called Voodoo Donuts. Last summer we spent 5 days there and went every day and every day there was a 2-hour lineup!!! Never did get one. I"ll be sure to remember Suzy Q if I ever make to Ottawa:)

Carissa @ the Fabulous Design File said...

mmmm... I'm not even a 'doughnut person'... but these look amazing!!! Wish I could run out and get one now!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...