Monday, June 18, 2012

Strawberry mini pies

Welcome back, Monday.

How was your weekend? Ours was great...Saturday was a beyond beautiful day in Toronto, and my company had their annual summer picnic on Centre Island. We biked down and ferried to Wards Island, went to the picnic, and then biked to Hanlan point, and back through Centre Island to Wards Island. Sunday we did errands, and popped by the Beach Ribfest which was fun.

One of the other things I did on Sunday was bake...like I said on Friday I LOVE local strawberries, and I picked up 2 quarts in my shopping on Saturday. I didn't want to make a whole pie because it's hard to eat it just being two people...so instead, I made mini-pies:

Look good? Here's the recipe I used from Tasty Kitchen. They turned out delicious...perfect little pies of sweetness! You could easily adapt the recipe to any fruit pie (blueberry, cherry, raspberry, peach...). I made 12 although the recipe called for 9. Next time I would do 9 or 10 so I would have enough pastry to do a proper lattice top! Here are some photos of the mini pie making.





See those little while strips sticking up? Those were a godsend...If you've ever made strawberry anything before, you know that the juices can go everywhere! In tarts this means it would make them next to impossible to get out of the tin. So to help myself out, I took strips of parchment paper and overlapped them in the muffin tins.


After the mini pies were baked, they helped me pull the tarts out of the tin.








9 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I can say is... WOW. I must try this.

Carissa @ the Fabulous Design File said...

What a cute idea! I can only imagine how delicious these must be with the fresh strawberries!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, they look delicious! Now I am truly craving strawberry pie...

Unknown said...

Theses look amazing and great tip with the parchment strips! Genius!

Adding the finishing touch said...

My mouth is watering! They look delicious!

Anonymous said...

These are amazing Heather! Gorgeous photography. You rock dear ;)

emily said...

Your weekend sounds wonderful and those pies look heavenly! Thanks for your comment about the counters -- I've already come back to check yours out again!

Julip Made said...

These look delightful and the perfect summer treat! Also pretty genius to use the two strips to remove them!

Stephanie Fazio (aka lealou) said...

um yum!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...