Tuesday, August 9, 2011

From drab to fab - DIY tray makeover

I've wanted a tray for our "stuff" on the living room coffee table for a while now...but hadn't really looked for anything. A couple of weeks ago I dragged the Mr. to Homesense since it had been so long since I was there (really). He actually found the perfect tray for upcycling:
This pinky red is not my colour of choice, and it was chipped in a few places, which meant it was on clearance for a big ol $10. Sold.  The Mr. thought I wanted the tray for practical purposes...like carrying food / drinks outside to the deck - and was surprised when I told him it was for display purposes! I think we can compromise and use it as a carrying tray in the summer, since it would also be uber useful for that.

I slapped some paint on it and decided to do a pattern...and here's the final product:
You like?? I'm very happy with how it turned out. I used Frog tape to tape the lines...and thought it was starting to bubble up like it did on our night tables and I was all ready to write a post about how I didn't think that Frog tape was worth all the hype, blah blah blah....then I removed the tape after painting and it's AMAZING. No joke. I'm a total convert...not sure where I went wrong on the night tables that led to bleeding (I think I moved the tape around and used too many small pieces), but the frog tape gave such a clean edge on this tray project. I love it.




9 comments:

Anonymous said...

love, love, love. so cute! great job.

Alena: Oh, Its Just Perfect! said...

Great makeover!! Looks fab!

Pine Tree Home said...

I had a really ugly wood try that I brought to good will not that long ago. If I only would have saved it!

Swirls of Happy said...

Look sooo great. I love the bold pattern and B&W!

Anonymous said...

This turned out amazing Heather!!!! I tried to paint a tray with with stripes taped off and totally botched it. The paint bled right through the tape. What's your secret?! Please do tell ;)

lisaroy said...

Looks great! nice job with the crisp lines :)

Unknown said...

super cute! love zigzags:)

Barbara Matson said...

Great makeover. I have been wanting to re-do our tray as well! Still need to decide on what pattern I want to do! Love yours!

dajana, all kinds of lovely said...

Super job! I love diy makeovers, Frog tape and upcycling. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...