We found the tables on Craigslist. They were originally from Cornerstone (shop in Toronto), and were finished in a red/black "crackle" finish. Not really the tones I wanted for the master bedroom :) But, that being said, they FIT - which was harder than I thought. We could only have tables that were about 24" square and a lot of night tables are quite a bit wider than that. Aside from the fit issue, I found night tables to be way more expensive than I thought they would be ($400 each? ouch), so these were a comparative bargain.
I tried stripping the paint / finish but it didn't work out very well, so out came the trusty sander!
NIght tables sanded
I wanted to do a design on the top, and wanted something relatively simple to tape out and paint. I ended up doing a very simplified greek key design. I taped it out after painting the tables gray:
I used Frogtape after many positive reviews online. While it definitely makes crisp lines, I had some bubbles in the tape due to humidity on taping day. Nonetheless, the areas where paint seeped into the bubbles were easy to touch-up with gray paint. Here is the final product (drum roll please!):
And in our room....
The tables still need to be styled (I wish our ipod alarm clock wasn't so big! but it's so useful I don't want to get rid of it). Will likely put some books horizontally on the shelf for visual interst, and then hide anything else (phone charger, kleenex, etc.) in the closed portion at the bottom. I am really happy with how they turnd out, specifically the gray paint colour. We bought a quart of paint from Habitat Restore for $3 and the colour worked out perfectly!