Sunday, May 1, 2011

Slow food Sunday

How has your weekend been? As usual ours was busy, but productive! I will feature some of our finds and projects during the week.

Yesterday started with a visit with a friend to Kimberley Seldon's Designer Market event in Toronto's Distillery District. I wasn't all that impressed with the event - I was hoping that it was going to be more sleuthy and thrift-find-y, but it was more product focused (food and self-care products). There were a few fabric booths with great deals ($5/yard) but I didn't see anything that caught my eye. I did get a couple of table runners for the dining room at $5 each - I am now on the lookout for a lively table cloth to use under them to perk them up. Thanks S for the recommendation - even though the market wasn't that exciting the visit made it worth it!

Today we did some running around this morning, got a bit of work done on projects and I got cooking! The two things I made aren't really slow-cooking recipes, but both took a while for their own reasons. Both recipes are from The Cook's Book of Everything.

Cook's Book of Everything (Cookery)
I received this cookbook almost 2 years ago as a wedding shower gift. It is ah-mazing. Not only does it have good tips and definitions of techquines / ingredients but it has delicious recipes that are generally easy to follow. I have not yet been disappointed by any recipe in this book. For proof, continue reading :)

The first thing I made was brownies. My husband is a HUGE brownie fan. Connoisseur if you will. This recipe is decadent. Rich. delicious. It calls for a lot of butter, a lot of chopped chocolate (I use dark), a bit of flour, a bit of cocoa, a fair bit of sugar and four eggs.

This all produces a very dark batter that cooks for 50 minutes, and then cools for 2 HOURS! I was surprised, but I'm a rule follower and my hubby was out of the house so I managed to let them cool for the suggested time. Let me tell you, it was worth it. I think the cooling time is so long because these are not just any old brownies. They are ooey-gooey melty chocolate brownies. The 9oz of chocolate is so melty that a lengthy cooling period is required to keep these bad boys from oozing all over the place. Here's the finished product:

Yummy.

The other recipe I took on from this book was French Onion Soup. This one I did expect to take a while since soups are always best when they cook slowly.
This recipe made me very thankful for 2 things: my mandolin and the green bin for waste! I definitely shed some tears cutting all those onions.

Yumm! This made 6 servings, but we've only eaten 2. The cheese melts away a fair bit so tomorrow night's soup will have more cheese on it. The recipe is a great traditional french onion soup.

So there you have the product of my Sunday's work!  For everyone in Canada - make sure to VOTE tomorrow.

PS - for anyone in Ontario needing further food inspiration - the Early Summer Food&Drink magazine came out this past week - make sure to pick yours up at the LCBO before they're all gone!

3 comments:

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

I had a huge dinner and this is making me hungry again!

emily said...

Those brownies looks super good! And I am a sucker for a tasty bowl of onion soup!

The Beauty Method said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and following! Loving yours too, now following! Miss Walker xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...