Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Living room re-design {I need your help}

We recently bought a new sectional for our living room (hoorah!) Here's a little before and after for you.

{sorry for the brutal lighting in the new photo}

I like the scale of the sectional in the room (and especially like how we now have enough space to both lie down...amazing). I also happen to think that it fills that corner in better, but now we need some other things to fill out the rest of the room. Curtains - definitely, and a chair (one chair with some weight as opposed to two smaller chairs which I was originally planning if we didn't get a sectional).

I've put together a mood/thinking/inspiration board for the living room, but following my typical indecisive style I need some help!


Living Room


Living Room by interiorgroupie on Polyvore


We already have the end tables, lamp, and sofa. Here are the things I need to decide on...

1. For curtains, I think a muted pattern would be nice in this space. The corners of the room are plain right now and I think we need something visually interesting instead of solid fabric, especially since we have the corner of the sectional in the far left corner instead of an end table.


2. Chairs - We want to get a chair to replace a Poang chair we currently have in the room, and I have no idea what style I want! I could go for patterned (but I couldn't find any nice ones on polyvore :) )... which style do you like with the room?


Sweep Leather Armchair
westelm.com

Pierre Chair - Grey
zgallerie.com
 
occa-home.co.uk
jaysonhome.com

 

 3. Coffee tables - I like the idea of a round table, but most of them don't have storage. This is a fairly big deal for me because our side tables don't have storage and I'm always behind on my magazine reading....how can we get around (ha!) this issue? Some options include an ottoman or a trunk style coffee table.


Drake Round Coffee Table
 laylagrayce.com


onekingslane.com


4. Pillows - I'd like to change out the green and ikat pillows that I have. In this mood board I've selected neutral prints but would like to add a pop of colour...potentially orange. I think it would a nice change. Any colours (or pillows) that you're loving lately?
Twinkle Living Lego Pillow Navy
bobbyberkhome.com


 
So, what do you think? All comments welcome (except we're keeping the couch, side tables and lamp no matter what...so if you can resist providing "get rid of it" comments on those items that'd be great :) ).

10 comments:

Carol-Anne said...

Oooohhhh such a lot of great options!

Love the curtains, and I think the idea of an ottoman-style coffee table is a great idea...what about a round one? Also, I like the grey chair to go with that sectional (which is amazing, btw!) and any of the pillows would look fab. I'm obsessed with chevron this year, so that's been my favourite. (just wondering, have you checked out the chairs at Lazy Boy lately? they're amazing! not the old-school style at all).

Designwali said...

I think you need an area rug? Am I mad? I would go for a lighter coffee table - your sofa is weighty enough. As for magazine get a great looking mag rack...

Martina said...

I'm with Designwali on this one, I think you need a rug ;) you could either go bold with a pattern or neutral and it would work with what you have in the room.

I think the curtains and some pillows would make subtle change, but an area rug would break up, yet anchor the space.

Anonymous said...

Hey Heather,

If you do go with an area rug as suggested I'd get a light / see through coffee table. If you do really want storage then I'd get the tufted storage ottoman with legs. Both of the other options look really heavy. and there's enough heaviness in the sofa and the side tables.

On the chair, how far away is it? If tucked in a far corner then the Eichholtz Richmond Chair or the Morgan Chair because of the roundness - the others I love but I think there are enough straight lines in the room. If the chair is close to the sofa then Id get something smaller scale altogether...

On the pillows I love the DL Rhein Moroccan Tile Navy Embroidered Linen Pillow. I just bought this pillow and love it: http://www.tonicliving.com/productsDetails.asp?categoryid=87&productid=2420&currentpage=1&onsale=0

lisaroy said...

Your sectional looks so comfy! I think because it is dark, I would choose a lighter coffee table - either glass with a storage shelf below or the light coloured ottoman. If you chose a glass table, I think a rug would be nice. Because the sectional is leather, I would choose a fabric chair - either the Pierre or the Eichholtz. I think orange pillows would be a great pop of colour. I'm loving velvet pillows right now. I'm a little tired of chevron now so I would choose a large scale graphic, wide stripe or suzani print. Fun! :)

Anonymous said...

Love the couch! I also love the curtains and your choices are all lovely! I would go for the tufted chair because its a fun colour and visually adds more texture. The moroccan pillows are great and I love wooden chests as coffee tables! But honestly all your choices are beautiful! Tough decisions :)

Ashley said...

okay i love the third chair but i think it's too feminine for your couch (if that makes any sense) so I'd go for chair 1 or 2. As for the coffee table... just go for the ottoman... it will be better in the long run... it's safer for little heads that might reside in your home one day. I also love the second pillow. For the curtains I like the ones you picked - only concern would be whether they have enough weight. okay that's what i am thinking.. feel free to ignore all of it!

Ashley said...

oops just read the comments... have to agree on the area rug and a lighter coloured ottoman or table ... definitely not of the heavy variety.

Carol@TheDesignPages said...

I actually don't think you need our help. You've got a fantastic plan going. I love the idea of The Morgan Sofa (chair) along with the Rosewood Trunk and the Caitlin Wilson fabric pillows. Whichever you choose will be great Heather!

Tanya from Dans le Lakehouse said...

I'm with Carol - your plans look great! I'm a bit behind with my blog reading, but it looks like you found a chair and went for the curtains. It's really coming together. Good luck with a coffee table find.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...