Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Taste of fall {butternut squash + carrot soup; and roast chicken}

This past weekend Sunday was all about cooking (and a little pumpkin carving...you'll see that tomorrow). We like cooking, but especially in the fall and winter because it feels like spending a few hours in the kitchen working on dinner is totally legit (especially on a non-stop-rain weekend that we just had). The leftovers that come with them are pretty sweet too.

I made this "creamy" (no cream) butternut squash and carrot soup (and added ginger, black pepper and a bit of thyme for flavour). This recipe makes a tonne of soup (about 8 or 9 cups I think). I started it in my biggest pot and by the time I got all the veggies in I saw I would have to swap to my stock pot instead! Since the soup doesn't have any cream in it, I kept some in the fridge and froze the rest. Easy and impressive soup to have on hand for cool days or as a starter for a dinner party.
As a side note...I usually puree my soup using an immersion blender, but this time I actually scooped out the cooked veggies, let them cool a bit, and pureed them in this puppy (batch by batch):
This may not be my best kitchen fancy, but it still does the job! Using a blender to puree the cooked vegetables (with a bit of broth to help the blending) make the soup so smooth. It's worth the extra time to do it this way.

The Mr. made a delicious roast chicken with carrots, onions, and parsnips (it was our first time cooking parsnips - they are amazing!). The chicken came from my sister's friends' farm and it was very tasty! The bones and skin are in the freezer to be used for broth soon.


What have you made / tasted lately that gave you a taste of fall?

7 comments:

Shannon said...

I am sooo making this soup!

Anonymous said...

I love butternut squash soup. It's one of my favourites. The soup looks especially delightful presented in those pretty square bowls. xo

Shannon said...

I made the soup!

I used water instead of broth with extra salt...then let it simmer for a few hours...I have to say, it smelled like it was going to be too oniony ...the squash and carrots don't give as strong a smell as the onion...so I scooped out a few chunks of onion to be safe...but I didn't have too! It was delicious!!!

and perfect texture to serve to the baby too!

Anonymous said...

That soup sounds so incredible!! I am totally making it this weekend!

Anonymous said...

This looks amazing! I am definitely making this.

Anonymous said...

This looks amazing! I am definitely making this.

Unknown said...

hmmm, soup. And great presentation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...