Tuesday, May 29, 2012

One man's trash is another's treasure...

Just last week I was reading Emily A. Clark's post 5 Things to Grab at Yard Sales. It's a great post with tips on items to buy at yard sales that will ALWAYS be useful. Pre-Blog Podium, the Mr. and I wandered Saturday morning for a coffee and pain au chocolat, and on our way back home a part of our street was having a yard sale! I looked around quickly at a few houses - focused on finding things that I actually liked AND were a good deal, not just clutter. We saw a bunch of junk (cassette tapes, anyone?), and a few treasures (to me) that I picked up:
How cute are those? A gold owl (seriously on-trend), and a (real) silver cup that I would love to use for a little vase for big flowers like peonies or hydrangeas. Can't go wrong with a unique / vintage take on a trend, and a high quality item. By the way...the owl was $4, the cup $1.50 - I obviously bargained to $5 for each because they were from the same seller.

Here's a pic of the owl in action:


I also bought this:

I know, kind of creepy to have a portrait of someone else, but I obviously bought it for the frame...and because it cost this much:

I heart deals, what can I say. But seriously, where else can you find a frame, of any size, for $2? It's begging to be spray painted (one of Emily's tips) - I'm thinking gold? Depending on what I put in there the existing finish could work too.

My next mission will be out-of-the-way antique markets...surely they won't have much for $2, but it's a fun treasure hunt none the less!

 

13 comments:

Tina Riddell said...

Great finds! I love hunting for antique and vintage pieces! There are some fabulous deal out there. I so want the mint julep cup you found for $1.50!!! Wow!

Carol-Anne said...

Good finds you got! I love that little owl...I saw someone (Maybe Centsational Girl???) spray painted one like that in a glossy white and it looked great that way too!

I have been seeing so many yard sales lately and just haven't been able to stop. We're doing a big street sale here in a couple of weeks, and I can't wait!

Unknown said...

Now I wish I'd wandered a little further Saturday morning in my own garage saling! Half the street garage saling sounds kinda light a dream. I love the texture on that frame and the owl is adorable!

Kelly said...

Great stuff! Love that owl!

Michelle @ AM Dolce Vita said...

I want that brass owl! Great finds!

Designwali said...

that owl and silver cup rocks. You scored.

Anonymous said...

Great finds! Love the owl.
As for out-of-the-way antique markets, there's a great one on the two-lane highway on the way to st.george from the QEW, man-oh-man I forget exactly where it is... but it was FULL of great finds.

Adding the finishing touch said...

I need that owl! I'm on the hunt for one just like that. I'm hoping to make my way to Aberfoyle next weekend - hopefully I'll find someone like it! Awesome find!

RealtyqueenTO said...

Love the owl and picture frame, great find!

RealtyqueenTO said...

Love the owl and picture frame, great find!

Amelia said...

Great finds - I especially love that owl! I'm hoping to make it to a few yard sales this summer, but it's usually impossible to drag my husband to one (I either need to be the one driving when I see a yard sale sign or hope he's not in the car haha).

The Pink Growl said...

that little owl is just too cute! Great find!

Lisa Mackay said...

Oh wow so jealous! LOVE the owl and frame!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...