Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Quick and easy dinner: Tilapia with corn, black beans, tomatoes, spinach

I had this meal earlier this week - it was one of those "kitchen sink" type meals where I was trying to use up bits and pieces of things in my fridge, yet make something tasty for dinner. I had black beans and corn to use up, so I took that, added spinach, tomatoes and red onion. I seasoned it with a bit of cumin, lemon juice, and hot sauce (you could easily use a bit of taco seasoning or something instead). I put a fillet of tilapia on top of that mixture, put it in a foil packet and stuck it in the toaster oven for about 25 minutes (I think it would be quicker in a real oven)...just like that - quick, healthy, and tasty!

1. Mix tomatoes, corn, black beans, red onion with approx. 1/2 tsp of ground cumin, fresh parsley (cilantro if you fancy), lemon juice.


2. Put a couple of handfuls of spinach on foil, top with seasoned filling:


3. Toss the tilapia fillet on top:

Wrap the foil up, sealing the edges (I put another piece on top because my bottom piece was too small to wrap), stick it in a 400F oven (I used my toaster oven at 450) for 20-25 min or until fish  flakey.

4. Enjoy!




 
*I scheduled this to post around 2:30pm EST. I usually post in the morning or evenings, but I thought - what time would people be thinking: What should I make for dinner tonight? Maybe this post helped you make your choice!

7 comments:

Kerry said...

Yumm - this sounds great Heather! Love this idea and it is totally something B and I would like. Might have to whip this up one night for us... I always have a hard time coming up with good dinner ideas! :) Thanks for the help!

Jessica @ Stay at Home-ista said...

I love individual packets, they are also so easy to make ahead, then cook at just the right time for a dinner party.

I can't scroll down to see your Homesense post, I would want too many of the items. I already have that industrial garden stool seared into my brain, and no chance of getting it. Sigh.

Jessica
stayathomeista.com

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious. I recently tried something similar in one of those bake-able parchment bags, and it worked really well.

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy! Thanks for sharing :)

Cre8ive Motives said...

Yum...I love tilapia. I just can never get my husband to eat it. He prefers the fried stuff.
Mandy

Adding the finishing touch said...

Looks delicious. I cook fish once a week and I'm always trying to find new and delicious recipes!

Julip Made said...

I've been fish roasting a lot recently too. So quick, so healthy and soo yummy! I did tuna with sliced potato circles, arugula, and cherry tomatoes last night. Hmmm!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...