Tuesday, January 31, 2012

How tall is too tall?

We ordered our sink last week (hoorah! and for a deal too...let's hope the deal wasn't too good to be true and the sink shows up at some point this week...), so now it's faucet time.

I saw this faucet at IDS and fell in love:

-oooh, ahhh-

It comes in brushed stainless steel, but I love it in chrome. The only thing is that this little faucet measures 15 1/2" in height. That's more than a foot tall...which means the top of it will be above our window sill (beware: BEFORE picture following...ewwwww)


I'm just wondering whether the high faucet will look OK or just funny. The sink will be a 1 + 1/2 bowl, so the faucet will actually be more centred on the window than it is now (and those lovely oak cabinets are already dealt with...can't wait to share them with you!).

What do you think? Is a faucet that comes up above the windo sill too tall for the window placement?

Here's some more faucet love to get you into my brain space...
via House Beautiful - this is a nice low faucet, but I really don't want to deal with two water knobs in the kitchen.

via Houzz - just drool with me...this is proof for me that a faucet can be higher than a window and look spectacular!

via Inspiration for Decoration via Houzz - I know that this is a laundry room, but do you see how the faucet comes just under the window? 

 via House Beautiful - a faucet on heels, extra tall!

 This is not in front of a window, nor is it chrome...but man is it sexy! Traditional Home via DecorPad

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Mmmm...those are some drool worthy faucets. I think the tall faucet could totally work as long as it's 1) gorg, which it is, 2) centered, which you said it would be, and 3) the one you love above all other faucets! :)

Michelle @ AM Dolce Vita said...

15 1/2" is about right. Ours is over 17" and I love how much clearance I can get underneath it. So IMO, go for it. :-)

Alena: Oh, Its Just Perfect! said...

I definitely feel like an adult "oohing and ahhing" over faucets :)

FrankandRox said...

Functionally the height is awesome. I'd say that as long as it's below the cabinet line then you're good. If you have backsplash planned then I'd say it should go higher than the top of the faucet.

amy_sue said...

I think it will look just fine at 15.5". Our faucet is taller than the window ledge and I think it looks good. Like Michelle said the clearance underneath the faucet is more important in the end!

emily said...

Our kitchen faucet comes above our windowsill. You can see it in the house tour tab of my blog. I think it will look great!

Linds said...

Our faucet also comes quite a bit higher than the window sill. It's something I was worried about at the beginning too, whether the sight line would look funny, but I don't even notice it anymore. What I do notice is how much I can get under there without sturggling with a low faucet, so I say do it up!

Emily-Jane said...

I agree with Michelle - it's okay if it's a bit taller because you'll get more clearance underneath. By the way, I can't believe the pic third from the bottom is a LAUNDRY ROOM! That's crazy. So pretty! I just assumed it was a kitchen with laundry in it. That concept isn't so popular in Canada, but I saw a lot of it England.

Martina said...

My FIL has a 17" gooseneck that definitely clears the sill of his bay window (but is below the cabinet line) but it looks fine & the view/functionality certainly outweigh any "too high?" musings.

Positively drooling over these faucets.

Amelia said...

I think it will look great. Can't wait to see your kitchen reveal :)

Tiffany said...

Well it looks great in the pictures you posted so I think it will be just fine. Love the faucet by the way!

Kelly @ View Along the Way said...

Go for it! I don't think you can go too tall. Hang it from the ceiling and I'll still love it. :)

Anna @ IHOD said...

I really love the look of the tall faucet. These are all great examples. Ours is broken so maybe I can convince my landlord....;)

Carol@TheDesignPages said...

Think of the height of the faucet in relation to the size of the sink. If the sink is 18" wide then you need a shorter faucet but if it's 36" you can go taller. The images are gorgeous!!

Danielle said...

I think you'll be fine! Against a window, the faucet will look great. We have a very tall gooseneck faucet that the previous owners installed, and it looks horrible - but only because our sink is on a peninsula and the height of the faucet blocks the view out the patio doors. It's all you see walking into the kitchen!

Nicole said...

One thing to watch out for with tall faucets is how high the point where the water is dispensed is above the top of the sink. The one in the Calgary office splashes everywhere when you try to rinse something in the sink because the water stream starts so far above the top of the sink.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...