Thursday, January 5, 2012

Shelf styling with holiday finds

I have realized often that shelves need a lot of STUFF on them to look like they do in magazines. Over the holidays I found a few extras to put on my shelves in the guest room and I think it's starting to get where I want it to be.

One of my new favourite items has to be this bookend from HomeSense:

I just love how masculine it is. I couldn't find a good combination of book spines so I just turned the books around to have the neutral pages showing.

To balance the Ox, I picked up a more feminine bookend from Winner's:

Also from Homesense, I found this treasure box (they had 3 or 4 in various sizes, and I loved them). I added the "object" that I found at Chapters on boxing day:

Here is the bookshelf as it stands now...I'm sure it will get switched up many times in the coming months, but I'm happy "enough" with it right now.

7 comments:

Alena: Oh, Its Just Perfect! said...

You found some great items!! I love how you styled them too. I have such a hard time with my bookcases and making all my stuff look pretty.

Kelly @ View Along the Way said...

Very pretty! I can never find bookends that I love but those are so cute!

Anonymous said...

looks great! I don't have enough bookends in my life....need to change that!

Tamra {ever swoon} said...

Love those bookends! Obviously, I'm a sucker for anything with animals, but they look fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Pretty! On a total other note, loooooove that trellis bedding! xo

Julie said...

Love the styling Heather and great idea to turn the spine around. Updating our big bookshelf is on my 2012 to do list and I"ll have to use that trick.

Kerry said...

It's looking great Heather! I hear you on needing a lot of things. I can't quite figure out our living room shelves. They are dominated by magazines that I haven't had the time to sort through and/or relocate. I'm dying to get built-ins finished so that I can clear them off and start from scratch with some truly beautiful pieces!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...