Monday, January 16, 2012

Winter's stew time!

Happy Monday folks. (PS isn't it so much more fun to say Happy Friday? or Happy weekend? Sorry 'bout that - not much I can do...)

Anyhoo...this weekend was Toronto's first full blast of winter. I realize that it's January 16th so I should be grateful that we've had it so good for so long (and by so good I mean ridiculous-global-warming-temps...and I am...but it's still tough when the first coldsnap comes). With winter comes comfort food - and Sunday stew is right up that alley!

I found this recipe in the Globe and Mail this past week and thought it sounded delicious. We tried it out Sunday night, with a few variations including: I threw in 2 potatoes (cubed) and 1/2 sweet potato (cubed). I also chopped up 4 cloves of garlic and threw them in instead of following their method. And, when the stew was done after 2.5 hours of cooking, I added a bit of cornstarch paste and cooked for another 10 minutes to thicken the sauce. All this came together into a scrumptious meal.

I'm setting this post to go up in the morning (I know...weird to have with your coffee...but more so in case it lights a flame for your dinner options tonight!). There is a bit of prep that goes along with this - I would say I was prepping for about 30-45 minutes before I could stick it in the oven. If you do make this - enjoy. I'm having leftovers for lunch today!





8 comments:

Kerry said...

YUM! Nothing better than a yummy stew and bread during winter. Last night we reheated some chilli B had made a while ago and he whipped up some quick cheddar biscuits to go with it... perfect comfort food during the cold, and when all 3 of us are sick!

Danielle said...

I'm right there with you! Crock pot is fired up and cooking as we speak. Enjoy!

Nette @ This Dusty House said...

Oh goodness, that looks SO tasty! I meant to make soup this weekend, but we were so busy, we didn't make it to the grocery store until Sunday night, and then only for a few things for supper and some snacks. Tomorrow will be a soup night, I think, once I've had a chance to get some ingredients!

Alena: Oh, Its Just Perfect! said...

Perfect cold weather food! Can't wait to try it :)

Carol@TheDesignPages said...

I'm a veggie so I won't be trying this but the boys in the house love beef and I have some stewing beef in the freezer. Sounds like a perfect match. I'll let you know what the reviews are after they have it:)

Collette Osuna said...

Just found your blog..new follower:)

Looks like a wonderful recipe, perfect for Winter!!!

A Lifestyle Blog for You, Your Home, & Everywhere in Between!

Little City Farm said...

Looks amazing and is definitely making me hungry. Mmmmm.

christine, just bella said...

ohmygosh, I SO could go for some comfort food like this today!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...