Monday, January 23, 2012

Thinking Sinks

This weekend we made some great progress in our kitchen reno - we selected the counter tops! (I'm saving the photos of our painted cabinets until we have more of the kitchen done...yes, you will have to daydream until then).  Very exciting indeed...after 3 trips up to Vaughan the past few weekends we have made our decision. We actually knew the granite we wanted all along, it was just finding the right fabricator and the right slab. Along with the counter selection comes immediately having to decide about a sink and faucet.

I think we've decided that we want an undermount double-bowl stainless steel sink (faucet is next on the list). We didn't really consider farmhouse style sinks because they don't go with the look we're going for. I like the double-bowl because we currently have only a single sink, which means we have a dish drying rack on the counter ALL the time.

Everyone asks, why don't you just put stuff in the dishwasher? We do...but I'm picky that things like my pots and pans, kitchen knives, and tupperware be hand washed. Given that, they need a place to dry. We're hoping a nice double sink will give us room to dry dishes while getting rid of the drying rack we've had since our apartment days! It will take up a bit more counter space (but less than the drying rack!). We're also slightly constrained for sizes because we are keeping the original cupboards. I am considering the 1.5 sink though - you get a full size sink and then a little half one for drying. Do you have a preference?

Until we pick out our perfect sink, here are some lovely dream kitchen pics.
Pinned Image 
Pinned Image
Pinned Image
Pinned Image
Pinned Image

11 comments:

Pine Tree Home said...

I would recommend a large single bowl. It hides all the mess and holds a lot. I can fit my turkey roaster in mine and scrub it down. How do I handle the drying dishes? I bought one of those drying mats from Bed Bath and Beyond (sorta like foamy covered in terry towel material) and I dry all my pots etc on that. They then get put away and the counter is clean with no awkward drying rack. Helps me to put the dishes away faster too cause I need the counter space.

Alena: Oh, Its Just Perfect! said...

A kitchen reno?!? Amazing. I desperately want to re-do our kitchen. Until then, I'll live vicariously through you :)

Tamra {ever swoon} said...

LOVE! My tiny new york kitchen would fit into those 4x over! I dream of a kitchen big enough for an island and marble counter tops!

Jen @ RamblingRenovators said...

We have a 1.5 sink and I love it. The 1 part is nice and big enough to fit a cutting board and the .5 part is the perfect size for the hand-washed items. I'm the same as you and only certain things go in the dishwasher. The .5 is great too when you're defrosting something or washing small fruits or vegetables.

emily said...

I was just talking about this the other day! I think I want a single large sink, but I like the idea of a 1.5 -- seems like the perfect compromise.

Tiffany @ {Living Savvy} said...

It is going to be so much fun to see it all done! The cabinets are probably amazing... I will be dreaming about them!

Meghan @ Wishful Thinking said...

Beautiful inspiration pics! We have lived with a single sink (and no dishwasher) for so long that I have long forgotten how amazing a double sink is! *sigh* Hopefully one day I will be picking out a double-sink too!

Unknown said...

Those sinks are really nice! I hope you pick the perfect one!

Michelle said...

I'm not sure if I'd change from my double sink but I know I don't want a 1.5 sink. A friend has one and I find it frustrating trying to fit all the stuff that gets hand washed in the .5. I like the idea of a big sink and using a drying mat. Looking forward to seeing what you decide!

Designwali said...

ooh so lovely. As long as its deep...although i still like double sink...can't handle counter clutter

Unknown said...

You will love your double stainless steel sink! I'm excited to see the progress! I love your kitchen inspiration photos!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...